miércoles, 24 de julio de 2019

Working while doing a masters degree?

Hi,

​

I am a relatively recent university graduate who had trouble finding a job for 2 years after I graduated with a 2:1 from a respected university. I finally got an offer with a very well respected company and have been there for just over a year. However, even though there will be a lot of work for me there, I don't feel like it's the particular avenue I want to continue down for my career, so I've applied to do a masters degree at the end of September. I am going to inform my boss tomorrow, and have already informed my recruiter that I'm "considering" doing it.

​

The masters course is full-time (technically), even though it is 1 week of 9-5 lectures, then 3 weeks off (reading time, I guess). The course is related to my undergraduate degree, so not a complete departure. I am spending all of my saved money from this year of work on this course and so would like to continue working at this great company in the meantime, as a part-time employee. My role is very flexible as I simply observe specific work processes that have been and always will be carried out, and write reports on them. I am currently thinking about how to propose the idea of me moving to part-time work to my boss, and it depends on how sensible my current plan is (I have no frames of reference to judge by). I currently work 35 hours a week (in a contract position, I should add, not direct employee), and I want to start working for around 30 hours, 2 of every 4 weeks. So I'd have my full week at university, a full week of reading / essays the next, then 2 weeks of 6-hour days, doing a couple of hours reading / essays after work, and repeat.

​

Coincidentally, I literally found out a couple of days ago that the other 2 people in my department are severely under-performing compared to me and my recruiter called me in to see him to have a chat about whether or not I thought they were the right fits for the role, and even suggested that there might be a possibility they'd ask me to go back act as a 'trainer' for them, so I know they want to keep me on the books. I don't have a great social reputation but I do have a good reputation for being highly motivated and just getting the job done, so I wonder if that'd increase my chances for being allowed to continue part-time?

​

Basically, I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on whether my plan of 30 hour a week every 2 weeks is sustainable while doing a masters course, or if I should reduce it down to 15, or even not work at all during (though it would be nice to have some income).

​

Much appreciated for any help!



Submitted July 24, 2019 at 08:58AM by NoontideMelody https://ift.tt/2JRh2id

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario