jueves, 1 de octubre de 2026

Any advice on universities and degrees for marine biology and mycology in Australia?

I am a year 11 student in NSW Australia (technically year 12 as of next term). I have been passionate about studying science my entire life, particularly marine biology. I've grown up at the beach, surfing and snorkelling. I'm really passionate about marine conservation and love to watch any documentaries and read books that are ocean related. However, every person I speak to who has studied marine biology, or knows someone who has, always tells me about how competitive the field is, and that most end up doing tour guides on boats. Fun as that sounds, would really love to be actually doing science and research projects. The Australian government website says that there are only 760 employed marine biologists in Australia.

In the past few years I have become really interested in mycology. I've been reading lots of books, watching documentaries, taken courses and seen Merlin Sheldrake speak. It seems like such an understudied field with a lot more jobs than marine biology seems to have. However, I'm not sure if I would have to permanently live away from the coast if I pursued this path.

I'm really torn and I feel like I have to make up my mind soon so I know what degrees to apply for. Does anyone have any advice for which Universities are best for each degree and/or if there are double degrees that might allow me to do both? I don't really understand the application process, I know you can apply for early entry in year 11 but my school hasn't told me anything about it. I just don't want to miss the window.

Extra info: I take year 12 maths advanced and Chemistry, and year 11 biology, physics, and advanced English. I am a high achiever, so getting the required ATAR for these degrees shouldn't be an issue. Scholarships would be great.



Submitted October 1, 2026 at 03:58AM by loser_loony https://ift.tt/oLYJaIU

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario