sábado, 19 de septiembre de 2026

WTF is going on with math?

My 4th and 5th graders who are both supposedly on par with grade level in math can't solve basic single digit multiplication from memory? Like if I want them to solve 5x6 I have to bring them 30 macaronis or they can't figure it out, what the heck is going on and why is this considered grade level? They are being taught to make a visual representation and then count one by one, that's all they know how to do. So if I give them a problem like 39x27 and a piece of paper, neither one of them has any clue how to even begin solving that problem. They both also claim that nobody has ever asked them to remember multiplication facts, and that their only testing in math has been multiple choice for the entire duration of their schooling. Why is this happening, and what is the purpose? We are fixing it at home and having them memorize their times tables, but I'm just kind of flabbergasted right now.



Submitted September 19, 2026 at 06:56AM by Thriftless_Ambition https://ift.tt/s5oyfb8

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario